Council tax discounts and exemptions

A full council tax bill is based on 2 or more adults living in a household. In certain circumstances council tax bills can be reduced.

Council Tax Support

You may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax bill if you, or someone living with you, are on a low income. Unlike other discounts and exemptions, this benefit is means tested (we check if your income and capital are below specified limits). Visit Council Tax Support for more information. 

Single occupier and other discounts

If you are the only person aged 18 or over living in a property, you are entitled to a single occupier discount of 25%. In certain situations, people may be disregarded when counting the number of adult residents meaning you may still get a discount if there is more than one adult living in the property. Visit our single occupier page to find out more about this and other discounts available.

Reductions for disabilities

You may be able to get a reduction in your council tax bill if you are disabled or you have a disabled person living with you who needs certain facilities. Visit reductions for disabilities to find out more.

Empty properties

Discounts are available for empty and unfurnished or uninhabitable properties. Visit our empty properties page to find out more.


You may not have to pay council tax on an unoccupied property. Some occupied properties are also exempt from council tax; for example halls of residence and armed forces accommodation. Visit council tax exemptions for more information.