Article 4 Directions
Even in conservation areas, certain types of minor development and alterations don’t normally require planning permission. These works are often referred to as being 'permitted development'. Individually, many of these changes may appear fairly minor but added together they can have a significant effect on the character and appearance of a conservation area.
Article 4 (2) Directions
Article 4 (2) Directions, provide the opportunity to control minor development by removing certain 'permitted development' rights within conservation areas. Generally they only apply to dwellings and relate to changes on the main elevations of properties facing onto a highway or public open space.
Article 4 (2) Directions mean that planning permission is required for alterations to windows, doors, roofs and chimneys - including changes in materials, like using UPVC windows. Permission is also required for erecting porches, gates, walls and fences, the laying down of hardstanding and the demolition of walls around dwellings.
Article 4 (1) Directions
These work in much the same way as Article 4 (2) Directions but the controls in place affect all parts of a property and not just those facing onto a road or park. In West Lancashire, only Newburgh Conservation Area is covered by an Article 4 (1) Direction. Click on the link below to view details of the Article 4 (1) Direction.
Conservation Areas with Article 4 (2) Directions
Article 4 (2) Directions restrict some changes to properties in the Conservation Areas listed below. Click on the name of each Conservation Area to view details of the type of changes and development restricted. Article 4 (2) Directions can cover the whole of, or only part of a Conservation Area. To view maps of the Conservation Areas listed below and the extent of the Directions in place, please visit the Conservation Area maps page.
- Ashfield Terrace, Appley Bridge (PDF 130kb)
- Briars Brook, Lathom (PDF 99kb)
- Fulwood Avenue/Douglas Avenue, Tarleton (PDF 112kb)
- Fulwood Avenue/Douglas Avenue, Tarleton - 2015 extended area (PDF 656kb)
- Granville Park, Aughton (PDF 115kb)
- Great Altcar (PDF 94kb)
- Halsall (PDF 90kb)
- Holt Green, Aughton (PDF 87kb)
- Junction Lane, Burscough (PDF 110kb)
- Junction Lane, Burscough - 2015 extended area (PDF 460kb)
- Lathom Park, Lathom (PDF 81kb)
- Mill Lane, Parbold (PDF 101kb)
- Mill Lane, Parbold - 6 and 8 Alder Lane (PDF 88kb)
- Ormskirk Town Centre (PDF 91kb)
- Plox Brow, Tarleton (PDF 96kb)
- Roby Mill, Up Holland (PDF 93kb)
- Ruff Lane, Ormskirk (PDF 956kb)
- Rufford Park, Rufford (PDF 140kb)
- Scarisbrick Park, Scarisbrick (PDF 80kb)
- St Michael's Church, Aughton (PDF 96kb)
- The Brow, Tarleton (PDF 96kb)
- Top Locks, Lathom (PDF 94kb)
- Up Holland (PDF 87kb)